Thursday 25 September 2014

Product Review - Barry M Showgirl Mascaras

I was feeling a little blue yesterday and fancied a small pick me up. So, naturally, after work I headed on over to the make-up aisle at Boots and bought myself a couple of little treats. I've been after a new mascara for what feels like forever. One of my own personal favourites is the YSL Babydoll Mascara, however, this retails at a somewhat pricey £24.50. Usually, this wouldn't bother me as I don't mind forking out for quality products. However, I've been a student for the past four years and have only just graduated so rethinking my spending habits has become a top priority of late. Whilst I would say that YSL Babydoll IS worth the money, I'm personally looking for something just as good but at a much more affordable price. Which brings me to my next point: Barry M have just launched two new mascaras entitled Showgirl Volumising Mascara and Showgirl Extreme Lengthening Mascara.


I was initially drawn to these products because of the packaging which is bad as I've tried what feels likes hundreds of mascaras and have been let down by packaging, ridiculous guarantees (4D effect lashes here's looking at you) and misleading ad campaigns many times before. However, these ones come in a flashy metallic colour with the product name featured in bold, star print typography and really stood out on the shelf. So, for only £4.99 each, I thought I'd give them a go anyway. 

I was very eager to try these out so gave them a test this morning when I applied my make-up. I curled my lashes with an eye-lash curler, as I do every morning, and then proceeded to apply the extreme lengthening mascara (silver tube). I must admit that I was particularly impressed with this product as the results it gave felt similar to the Benefit They're Real Mascara. It was easy to apply, clump-free and left my lashes looking very natural and long. Plus at £4.99, which is almost a ¼ of the price of the Benefit mascara, this couldn't be a better product!


Next I applied the extra volumising mascara (pink tube). I wasn't as impressed with this one as it didn't give as much volume as I would have liked/expected. However, that said, it was really easy to apply and was also clump free. I've tried to include pictures of the effect but I'm living in the dark ages with an iPhone 4s and apologise for the poor quality of my camera!



Overall I think both products work quite well and, when used together, definitely compliment each other. If I'm honest though I felt a little let down by the volumising mascara as I hoped it would have a bit more of a 'wow' effect. That said, I am extremely impressed with the lengthening and natural effect that the other one gave and would definitely recommend the extreme lengthening product, especially at the bargain price of £4.99. 



O x

6 comments:

  1. Lovely review! x

    http://www.bloglovin.com/elizabethgayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Barry M's nail varnish range, I've never thought to try anything else. Nice review! Btw, I nominated you to do the Liebster Award :)

    http://anotherfashionfanatic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what's the liebster award?! haha yeah me neither! I think their lipsticks are quite good too :) x

      Delete
  3. I'm always looking for a new mascara to try so I will be trying this one for sure! :)

    thedizzyingheights.blogspot.co.uk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah do! I'd definitely recommend it and I've tried 100s of different mascaras, plus you can't go wrong at £4.99 can you? :) x

      Delete