Monday 29 September 2014

Book Review: Here's Looking At You by Mhairi McFarlane.

This is the first time I've written a book review and it's something new I'm trying out for this blog so any feedback or comments would be much appreciated! 

This is actually the second book I've read by Mhairi McFarlane. I bought the first one, You Had Me At Hello, on a whim as I was actually buying some books by John Green and it was on a 3 for 2 offer. However, that said, that whim buy turned out to be one of the best literature decisions I've ever made. And, in case you were wondering, the John Green books were, in my opinion, completely rubbish – sorry die hard JG fans. After finishing the first book I googled the author and realised she had this second novel published too. I purchased it immediately and began reading it practically the second it came through my door. 


Without spoiling too much, basically what the novel is about is about an incredibly attractive, single, History professor called Anna. Anna thinks she's moved on from the bullying she suffered when she was at school and is quite content spending her free time going on dates, helping her younger sister plan her wedding and hanging out with her two best friends. That is until she's assigned to work on a project with James Fraser, the orchestrator of her school humiliation, and her trust and confidence is put to the test once again. James, who fails to recognise Anna as the girl he mistreated in school, is going through a messy break-up with his wife Penny and the work project he is assigned to create with Anna becomes a distraction from his hectic home life. At first Anna acts coldly towards him but over time the two become friends and Anna begins to develop romantic feelings towards James.

I will say that this book has plenty of ups and downs, Anna's younger sister going off the rails being one of them and James' bitch wife being another. However, what would a romance story be without its fair share of turmoil?! What I love about Mhairi's writing style is that she is completely hilarious, hits the nail on the head again and again when it comes to accurately describing situations and feelings and, on the whole, remains very contemporary. For me, the way her characters react, think and talk is so realistic it actually makes the book.

Now that I'm getting older I've realised I can no longer read books aimed at teenagers as I feel they're just a little too 'young' for my taste. However, for any women in their twenties/thirties looking for a really funny, light-hearted and addictive read I would whole heartedly recommend this writer.Trouble is now I've read both her books, I'm a sitting duck waiting for a third!

Have you read any of her books or have any book recommendations for girls in their twenties? I'd love to hear your thoughts! Leave a comment below.

O x

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I read You had me at Hello on holiday last year and loved it & always struggle deciding on a new book to read so i will defo be picking up this one next.

    Thanks :)

    Im also new to blogging, would love your comments on my blog.. www.kerryjoseph.blogspot.com

    Kerry x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes do it! I actually preferred this book to her first so would definitely recommend you give it a read :) x

    ReplyDelete